All About Teeth Cleaning
Teeth cleaning is one the most routine and most important dental procedures there is. While everyone should know how important it is to maintain a good at-home oral health routine, it still can’t make up for the benefits of a professional cleaning.
Professional teeth cleanings are more effective and are specifically designed to reach the hard-to-see areas and remove plaque and tartar that may have built up. This is why it is recommend that patients get a professional dental cleaning every six months, at the very least.
Regular professional cleanings are the best way to keep teeth healthy.
How We Can Help You
Patients in the Burke, Virginia area can count on Burke Dental for all their dental needs. Dr. Ghanavati and his qualified team offer quality service and patient care. They strive to offer the very best care to patients, no matter how routine the procedure. Patients who come to Burke Dental can count on receiving high-quality preventive dentistry care at every appointment.
Request an Appointment Today!
Benefits to Routine Dental Cleanings
A dental cleaning is part of the regular six-month check-up and it is a key component in maintaining good oral health. There are many benefits to getting regular dental cleanings, such as:
- Help prevent stains. Professional dental cleanings are better at dealing with discoloration caused by things like coffee or wine than regular at-home cleanings are. Regular professional cleanings can help remove staining and discoloration.
- Get rid of plaque build-up. A professional dental cleaning can help remove plaque build-up from even the hardest-to-reach places. This helps keep the teeth and gums healthy and prevents gum disease and cavities.
- Removes tartar. If left too long, plaque build-up can harden and turn into tartar. Tartar hardens on the teeth and needs to be scraped off with special instruments, meaning it can only be removed during a professional clean.
- Creates a clean, fresh feeling. There is nothing like the feeling of a professional tooth cleaning. A professional cleaning leaves a patient’s teeth looking and feeling their best.
- Problems can be detected early. If patients schedule regular dental check-ups it is easier for the dentist to catch any problems early because it will be easier to spot changes. Regular dental cleanings allow the dentist to watch out for the signs of gum disease, cavities, bone loss, oral cancer, and many other potentially harmful conditions.
- There is no pain. The average dental cleaning is probably the most routine dental procedure there is and one of the easiest; there is no anesthetic, no pain; just clean, healthy teeth.
There are many advantages to getting regular dental cleanings. Regular cleanings are the best way to protect your teeth from damage. There is no downside to regular dental cleanings and many advantages. After all, everyone likes clean and healthy teeth.
Dental Cleaning vs. Regular Brushing
It’s easy to wonder why a professional dental cleaning is necessary. After all, if a patient keeps a good at-home oral health routine, isn’t that enough? The answer is no. An at-home dental care routine is critical to healthy teeth. Regular teeth brushing and flossing are the first line of defense against plaque and tartar buildup and gum disease.
However, they are only part of the solution. No matter how hard someone tries at home, plaque and tartar are bound to accumulate in certain areas of the mouth and, once hardened onto a tooth surface, tartar is impossible to remove by brushing and flossing. Regular dental cleanings are every bit as important as proper homecare. Regular professional cleanings set up the foundation for good oral health care, a foundation that needs to be maintained by good at-home practices. Here are just a few of the benefits of regular cleanings at a dental office:
- Dentists can reach more areas. There are a lot of small crevices in the mouth and a toothbrush can’t reach all of them. One of the reasons professional cleanings are so important is that they can clean the small, hard-to-reach areas and remove plaque that may accumulate.
- Dentists have access to professional products. The polishing paste at the dentist’s office is different than normal, over-the-counter toothpaste. Professional paste helps polish teeth as it cleans them. One of the advantages to getting a professional dental cleaning is how clean the teeth look and feel afterward, results that are much harder to get at home.
- Early detection of problems allows for early treatment. Regular check-ups and cleanings allow the dentist to know what is going on in a patient’s mouth and be able to take note of any changes. Most people aren’t trained in what to look for, so they might not pay attention to subtle changes that could be a sign of infection or gum disease, while a dentist is trained to notice such things.
Regular professional dental cleanings are not meant to take the place of good at-home oral health care, but at the same time, a good at-home care routine doesn’t reduce the need for regular dental visits. For the best results, it’s important to combine good at-home dental care with regular professional cleanings.
Get Teeth Cleaning From a Professional
A professional clean is usually done as part of a patient’s six-month check-up. Patients can book an appointment with our team. One part of the appointment will be the examination, during which we will check for any changes or signs of concern. Dental x-rays are recommended at least once a year, while teeth cleanings are recommended at least twice a year. So depending on the visit, x-rays may be part of the visit. For returning patients, we will compare x-rays to the ones from your last check-up to make sure there aren’t any concerning changes. We will also ask the patient if there have been any changes to their medical history since their last visit. This helps us to make sure we are treating each and every patient as safely and completely as we can.
Of course, part of the 6-month visit is the cleaning. This includes removing the plaque and tartar. We use special dental instruments to remove the build-up. The more buildup there is, the longer this part of the process will take.
Polishing and flossing the teeth is another critical portion of the cleaning appointment. This involves brushing with an electric toothbrush and special dental polishing paste. The professional polishing paste helps polish the teeth, as well as clean them, leaving the surface feeling smooth. Finally, we will floss your teeth. This helps remove any remaining plaque buildup, as well as remove any paste residue. Like at home, flossing is meant to leave the area between the teeth clean.
Some patients request a fluoride treatment as part of the cleaning appointment. Fluoride is meant to help prevent cavities and the benefits a fluoride treatment can last for several months. If fluoride treatment is requested, a fluoride varnish will be applied with a brush to the surfaces of the teeth. It is normally recommended that the patient avoids drinking or eating for 30-60 minutes after the application of a fluoride varnish so that the fluoride has time to soak into the teeth and offer a layer of protection.
After the cleaning is complete, the patient will be advised to book their next appointment. If the team noticed anything unusual during the check-up, we will advise the patient accordingly. Otherwise, the follow-up appointment will be booked for six months down the road and the patient will be free to go. There is no recovery needed from a dental cleaning, the patient just gets to enjoy the feel of clean, sparkly teeth.
Book Your Cleaning Today With Burke Dental
Patients in the Burke, Virginia area looking for a new dentist can trust the staff at Burke Dental to give them the very best care. Going to the dentist can be enjoyable and most of the time appointments are quite simple. New and returning patients can book their check-up appointment online or by calling our office at 703-978-6000.
We are located at 9006 Fern Park Drive Ste A, Burke, VA 22015